Nutrition Myths


Mercury is a heavy metal which is toxic especially if its vapors are inhaled. The liquid form is not readily absorbed by the body and is usually excreted.

Methylmercury is a highly toxic form of mercury which has an ability to bind with organic molecules and is easily absorbed by the living tissue and accumulates in the body for many years.

Most of the mercury in fish and seafood exists in the form of methylmercury. Depending on the studies it accounts for around 90% of total mercury depending on the species and water sources. (1) (read more..)

Methylmercury accumulates in the body and has the half-life of 1.5 months. (2)

The current safe daily limit for methylmercury intake has been established to be 0.1 micrograms per kg of body weight. (3)

Related Posts

Tuna Nutritional information for tuna, cooked.
Mercury levels in fish Large predatory fish, such as shark, swordfish, marlin, or king mackerel, contain more mercury in a small serving than the weekly maximum safe limit for most people. See the most recent data on the mercury levels in fish...
Is canned tuna healthy? Canned tuna is one of the most nutritious foods available, if consumed within the safe limits. It contains various toxins such as methylmercury, which can be detrimental to one’s health.
How much canned tuna is safe to eat? Canned tuna labelled as “white/albacore” contains about 3 times more mercury than the “light” tuna. To avoid mercury toxicity, restrict the weekly intake.

Get updates

Receive regular updates on nutrition myths, facts and curiosities. All based on the latest scientific evidence.