Nutrition Myths

Water intoxication

Hyponatremia (water intoxication) is a condition where the level of sodium (and other electrolytes) in the blood gets diluted with too much water.

The normal concentration of sodium in the blood is between 135 and 145 millimoles per liter.

Some common symptoms of water intoxication are headache, nausea, vomiting, muscle spasms, frequent urination, hallucinations, fatigue, mental disorientation and seizures. Symptoms can be detectable when the sodium concentration in blood reaches 120 millimoles per liter, but are usually associated with 110 millimoles per liter.

Severe water intoxication can be deadly and can occur when the concentration of sodium falls below 105 millimoles per liter. (1)

Related Posts

Can raw potatoes make me sick? Eating raw potatoes can make you sick - they can cause abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, flatulence and cramps. The reasons are the indigestible starch, the contamination of bacteria from the soil and the toxins pres...
How to cook beans to avoid lectin poisoning? Cooking kidney beans and other legumes requires high temperatures to reduce a toxin called phytohaemagglutinin. Cooking beans in low temperatures may increase the toxicity levels to 5 times or more.
Can you die from drinking too much water? Drinking above the kidney's ability to filter water (between 800 and 1000 ml per hour) may result in hyponatremia, which can cause swelling of the brain and lead to death.
Is milk from cows fed with hormones bad for you? Milk from cows injected with bovine growth hormone has an increased amounts of IGF-1, pus from the mastitis caused by growth hormone, and may contain antibiotic-resistant bacteria from antibiotics used to treat this mast...

Get updates

Receive regular updates on nutrition myths, facts and curiosities. All based on the latest scientific evidence.