Chronic Idiopathic Constipation (CIC) is a type of constipation with unknown causes and no underlying medical conditions or constipation causing medication.
In CIC the following symptoms appear chronically:
- Difficulty in passing stools (straining, time taken);
- Hard and lumpy stools, often dark in color;
- Irregular bowel movements;
- Infrequent bowel movements;
- Feeling of incomplete defecation;
- Abdominal discomfort and bloating;
- Poorer physical and social functioning;
- Decreased life quality;
- Perception of being unhealthy.