Metabolic syndrome is a medical condition, diagnosed when any three out of the following five risk factors occur together (1):
- Abdominal obesity (apple shaped body);
- High blood triglyceride levels;
- Low HDL cholesterol level;
- High blood pressure; (see how to reduce it..)
- High fasting blood glucose.
Metabolic syndrome indicates a high risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and stroke.
Other risks linked to metabolic syndrome are:
- Insulin resistance;
- Lack of physical activity;
- Chronic stress;
- Diet high in fructose (2); (read more..)
- Aging (if linked to obesity and sedentary lifestyle).
NUTRITION FACTS VS NUTRITION MYTHS
You will find a summary of the most common nutrition myths and evidence-based nutrition facts here.